Sunday, 23 October 2011

Year 2 Grammar and Punctuation

As a class we were to design a page each using the symbol given to us. Each page will explain and illustrate or demonstrate a grammatical or punctuation issue. I was given a Semicolon to experiment with and see what I could produce. This exercise is all about risk taking and pushing designs in places that do not feel comfortable. 

Before I decided to do any designs I drew a semicolon into my sketchbook and looked at the shape to see if I could create anything from what I could see and sure enough there was an circus elephant with a beach ball.

Using a technique I learnt in my first year. I decided to print off Times New Roman Semicolon and draw around it in pencil. I then took a biro and started to draw an elephant free hand around the comma. I tried to make the lines crisp as possible as well as being slightly sketchy. After the elephant was drawn I began to draw a cartoon beach ball. 
I was now left with a black outline of an elephant and a beach ball. Scanning this into PhotoShop, I used a work path to make the lines look like an engraving. I was now left with a nice thick black outline. 
Using the magic wand and different layers I was able to play around with colours until it looked correct. Each colour had a different layer thus making it easier to play around with colour. I also labeled each layer so it was quick to refer to whilst editing.

Coming to America Project

Final scrapbook and 3-D journal. End of Year.

I am very pleased of being able to do this project and putting all the photos and journal notes together into one book. It is something I will be able to keep it and look back on it in the future. 

The 3-D journal was a piece I made in The Shed in a massive cardboard box. This was an exercise I learnt in class, and thought it was a really good idea to use the main places visited whilst on the road trip into iconic pieces. Using a site light and a camera it produced really good photographs. The light and shadow formed in the flutes and cut out letters really made the experience great when photographing.
I made many mock-ups of this book to get the lay out correctly and what photographs worked with one another. I decided to go with hand binding it all together, the reason being is because all the cut outs I did were really time consuming and very fragile. Also the whole book has a sense of a hand made piece - whereas the scrapbook I wanted a spiral bound because I wrote all my notes down in a spiral bond sketchbook on the road, I thought it had a nice relation to one another. 

The scrapbook pages were mainly random and not thought of as much, however there were pages that I took time to layout because of places we visited either portrayed it that way e.g. Little BigHorn Battlefield.  The scrapbook is also either landscape or portrait the reason behind this was to resemble of the ups and downs we had the road.
The materials used throughout were either recycled that I found laying about or from the trip scan multiple times. Linking back to All Messed Up, I wanted to produce random graphics by scanning maps and brochures we picked up on our way. 

Final Playing Cards

Here are the final 6 playing cards. All include 3 different print processes either mono, dry point, wooden block and lino. Inspired by Paul Klee. 

All mono prints were created by using my left hand, the reason for using this was to gain the style of Klee's work. Not only did it work but it looks really effective in this style.

The Letters and Numbers were either cut out of wooden block or lino, I wanted the type to look crisp and have a contrast of imagery that looks sketchy. 

The circle double print: The small circle symbol was created using dry point, I found it very hard to line up the circles to print neatly together. However each colour the plate had to be cleaned then ink applied to then over print. This took along time to get right however as the playing card '3' looked good over printed I decided to go with that. It also made the playing card look more the way I wanted it to, similar style to the way I drew with my left hand to create the portraits. 

As the main symbols were mono printed, I decided to discard the middle circle '3' as it didn't suit the style of the other playing cards. Also it was on a different paper stock and looked out of place, so going with the cream paper - the playing cards looked more of a set. 

After the inks had dried I then worked back into the portraits using water colours, this again was to gain the style of Paul Klee. Before adding water colours to the final cards I practiced on trail portraits to see how much water to add to the colours to gain a bleeding colour look, after a few attempts this is what I produced for the final hand in.