Friday, 29 April 2011

Cut-out




Created these  a couple of weeks ago but haven't had time to upload them, pretty much a response to the 3D journal pages we created.
For an exhibition idea, I could make other cut outs for the best parts of the road trip and mount on the wall space, that is if there is wall space available to go along side the journal.



I decided to use times new roman as the type face, the reason being for this is i think it fits in nicely, another font I do not feel it would fit within. Using cardboard is a brilliant media, the ability of being able to remove the top layer to reveal the corrugate card works really well to create texture and shadow. Cardboard is somewhat boring with out exposing the flutes.  


The moose is an ionic part of road trip in Yellowstone. I created the moose the same way I made the outline of the 3D letters. This isn't finished yet, I am yet to finish cutting the type into the card and to expose the card to create rocks ect. 


Linking back to the unpredictable graphics book I was looking at by Anna Gerber, I didn't realise there was text on the back of the card. I just used the cardboard my Dad brought back from work and cut it out and didn't see what was on the back of it, I should of looked really however this doesn't as I am using the other side of the card. 

Linking back to the 3D journal we made I could see thees cardboard cut outs working in a camera view form, for exampling slowly sliding in with a camera which would create depth of field, also the use of light would create great shadow, form and texture. This could almost be a walk through of the most memorial parts of the road trip.

Tuesday, 19 April 2011

Three is a Magic Number


I decided to see how difficult it was to carve your own wood block for the letter press. The reason for this is because I couldn't find a reasonable sized no.3 in the collection we have in the print room. I wanted to create a number so I could incorporate it within my playing card designs and may use in the future. 

 I printed Times New Roman 3 out backwards - this way when it prints, it prints the number the right way. Used small amount of spray mount to tack it in place whilst I cut around outline.


After cutting around the number, I discarded the white paper leaving the black number. The tools used gouges, scalpels and chisels. 


 Slowly working away at the wood using the gouges was pretty easy, to gain a nice flat area I used the chisel to take a little off at a time. Small amounts each time as you cannot add what you have cut back if you go too deep. 


The deeper the cut around number the easier it was to remove the wood around the number. I kept taking small amounts down until all the wood was the same level around the raised 3. Using the smaller gouge to get in close to the number, this way I could control the amount of wood being removed. As the gouge leaves uneven lines, using a small scalpel blade to flatten the wood around the tricky parts of the number I found useful.

The overall result, turned out pretty good for a first try. The only problem is the type of wood I used (pine) Pine is a really soft wood and I do not know how well it will cope under the press. Another issue is the treatment to prevent the wood splitting or cracking over time - this is an area where I shall research within to find out how to treat it. 

Making this number for my playing card will work really well if it works under the press, I may hand press it, to see how it works. The last thing I want to do is put it under the press and crack and ruin it. It didn't take long carve but it would be a shame to ruin it. I may make another number out of a harder wood that way I have 2 numbers for my playing cards that I can then design the symbols for. At the moment i have a layout for the number 3 which will be added on here at a later date after I printed them. 







Sunday, 17 April 2011

Scanning of stuff


I decided to scan a few objects gained from the road trip. Laid them out on top of the scanner and placed a piece of cardboard over the top to prevent the printer, printing out a pure black ground, however I didn't realise that there were stickers on the cardboard.
I thought this look pretty cool considering I had been looking at Anna Gerbers book unpredictable graphics , I feel this links in really nicely with what I have been looking at.